Tuesday, January 31, 2012

the good kind of crazy

I decided to buy chickens my senior year of college.
Not because I really wanted chickens, but mostly because I could... 
25 baby chicks for approximately $30?  Why not. 

When I got the notice to pick them up, I quickly darted to the post office, only to be greeted by the sound of many friendly chirps.  


They came in 1/2 a box... 27 of 'em (I suppose it was in case any died in transport). 
It was one of those crazy things you do in college for no good reason at all.  We named them things like "Fluffy Featherhead" and "Clever Hans".  My roommates let me keep them in our house until two of them were suffering too much from allergies to thrive in our home.  



(...no, that's not my bed.)

Eventually the chicks were transported to a farmhouse owned by our campus minister whose wife had always wanted chickens.  I'm quite sure they regretted the decision to take those chickens...

Let today be a day where you do something spontaneous, ridiculous, adventurous... let today be a day where you make memories with people around you who are there for such a time as this one.
Let today be a day where you do something crazy.
'cause as much as I harp on us girls for being 'crazy' so much of the time- I also hope we never lose sight of adventure, spontaneity, and just allowing ourselves to live in the fullness of who we were created to be--weird, quirky, deep, carefree, human.

Enjoy today... despite your circumstances.  Laugh a lot.  Take some friends along for the ride (NOT the guy you're currently obsessing over).
May you walk freely in JOY... and in the crazy.  The good kind of crazy...

and then?  let me know what you come up with... let me know what types of good crazy you got yourself into.


5 comments:

  1. I read this, too! (And now I want chick, especially after seeing the C's super cute little chicks! ...Perhaps I'll just work at keeping my plants alive...)

    Crazy thing for today--booking a plane ticket?! Holiday!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is like a breath of fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I did something crazy today, and while it wasn't as fun and random as chickens, it was a total leap of faith in trusting God. I feel a little crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I intentionally loved others with that crazy Jesus type of love that is able to love others no matter who they are of what they've done--thanks for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete