Monday, January 16, 2012

he matters, too


One day, in elementary school, we were waiting in the lunch line outside the cafeteria.  The guy next to me had a crush on me, and I while I was currently taking a two second hiatus from ‘going out’ with boys, that certainly didn’t stop me from playing with his heart.  I guess I wanted to see to what measure he would go to in order to ‘date’ me, because the next few minutes proceeded like this:

            Me:  “Hey, you should ask me out.”
            Boy: “Will you go out with me?”
            Me: “No”
            Boy: “oh…”
            Me: “Ask me again”
            Boy: “umm, will you go out with me?
            Me: “umm, nope.  Ask me again!”
            Boy: “No, you’re just going to say no”
            Me: “You don’t know that!  Just ask!”
            Boy: “Will you go out with me?”
            Me: “…………………………………..no!”

This continued on for far too long and the thought of what that does to a poor boy’s self-esteem makes my heart ache.  How did we learn to be so cruel at such a young age??  I'm guilty of committing emotional torture.

I wish I could say that I'm different now...but, unfortunately, this old tune of ‘girl reveling in the spotlight of the male eye’ hasn’t exactly changed.  Perhaps it looks different (hopefully more mature)—but the result is still the same. 

We crush guys if it means we get to feel better about ourselves in the process.  We lead them on, we dangle ourselves in front of them, we flirt, we laugh, we touch, we sometimes even kiss (oh, sweet girls, I do pray it doesn’t get this far…let alone further)…and then we hang them out to dry. 

Once they are done fulfilling whatever need they met in us, we flee.  Sometimes this is just intense conversations or lots of quality time together…but sometimes this means more to guys than we think it does.

I implore you women to think about these men’s hearts above yours (…value others above yourselves- Phil 2) and to think twice before you entertain a man who you know is interested in you when you are certain you have no romantic interest in him (you know when you're not interested--don't try to play that 'but what-if' game to justify your actions).   

I promise that honesty from the get-go is a sign of integrity and compassion, and that your ability to have self-control in situations like this speaks volumes about your character. 

So stop emailing and texting him.
Stop spending so much time with him.
Stop fishing for compliments.
Stop being his go-to girl.

Let him go.  Not because your heart is at stake…but because his is.
And, because it’s the right thing to do.  

* * *
Send in your own stories of something you have done, thought, or said that might be a bit 'crazy'... Send in your own questions and struggles. 
Let's bring light to the darkness, truth to the lies, and hope to the hopeless.  
You're not alone.  

Your stories will remain anonymous

1 comment:

  1. There's a "How I Met Your Mother" episode about this...not that anyone should watch that show...they call it having someone "on the hook". Get him off your hook! :)

    ReplyDelete