Saturday, April 7, 2012

At War With Yourself?

While watching Tangled with one of my groups the other night, the following scene stuck out to me: 


It's quite the perfect picture of a woman's emotional instability. Perhaps a bit of an exaggeration at times, but, I fear we reveal much more of our 'crazy' more often than we realize.

This dialogue seems to happen at the cusp of big decisions. We're always weighing the pros and cons, we're always second-guessing ourselves, we're always thinking and re-thinking ... thus, appearing a bit internally conflicted. Or, as Flinn puts it... at war with ourselves. Let's be honest, though. I get this way about where I want to eat, what I want to eat once I get there, and how much tip is a good amount to leave.

It would seem that indecisiveness plagues us at times. We become people who are unable to make decisions because we're so scared of making the wrong decision. What if I choose to get my degree in psychology, but I end up wanting to do elementary education? What if I choose to marry this guy and a few years later I meet someone else I'd rather be with? What if I choose to move to this new place and I never meet anyone I can be friends with? What if I choose Mexican food and it doesn't hit the spot (okay, so it's a bit ridiculous, but a lot of you can identify with it)? Our fear is the root of the problem.

We become crazy.
Genuinely excited about seizing new opportunities and adventures in life, but terrified of the ramifications of our decisions. Terrified of what the unknown actually means and the things that await us out there. So we talk ourselves out of it.... and back into it... and then out of it... and back into it... and there's really no telling which way we will go....especially to anyone watching us from the outside as we sift through the turmoil in our brains.

I like think about existing in a world where we don't live our lives out of fear. A world where we walk boldly into the unknown, into new settings... and we trust that it will all be okay. A world where we could just decide something without having to second-guess anything, without having to worry about missing out on something better...because we are so confident in the decision we have made.

There's always going to be room for our crazy inner dialogue as long as we make it a priority...
but, I'm just not convinced that's any way to live life. We don't have to suffer through our bipolar episodes to make good decisions for ourselves. We just need to walk confidently into our decisions... excited about what new doors we can walk through, the new people to meet, the new things to see, the new purpose to behold.

Get out of whatever tower you're currently complacent in.
Break free of the mold you feel stuck in.
Seize new opportunities, embrace the unknown... be willing to try something different.

Fear isn't from the Lord.
Be willing to go somewhere new, somewhere different... be willing to think new/different things, be willing to be someone new/different... and trust that the new and the different might be better than anything you've ever known. To trust that the Lord, your God, is bringing you into a good land.

Go.
No inner dialogue, no war with yourself, no second-guessing.

Go.
Enjoy.
Love.
Share.

Drink deeply today, sweet friends.


* * *

Your entries will remain anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment