Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Surrender

Surrender.

It's a buzz word in Christianity.

"Have you surrendered that to the Lord?"
"Are you living a life of surrender?"

We use it in the broader sense of our entire lives, but we also use it in the day-to-day. And sometimes I wonder...what does it even mean?! When we tell someone to surrender something, when we ask them about it, when we think we need to... do we even know what we are saying?

I'm guilty of it. Guilty of suggesting it, guilty of thinking it needs to happen...but sometimes I think we forget to explain what it means, as if we assume it's just a given.

I think I spent a lot of my life thinking that I needed to surrender this and surrender that... but I had no real idea of what that actually looked like. The things weren't always tangible...so giving them up wasn't this easy ordeal.

Because surrender is complicated. More complicated than we make it. But it's also simple. Simpler than we make it.

To Surrender: to yield (something) to the possession or power of another; to give (oneself) up; to give up, abandon, relinquish... 

It's a letting go, of sorts.
It's a giving of yourself.
It's an admitting that there's One more powerful who not only we ought to yield something to, but our whole being to.

But what does that actually look like?
How does that become something that we aren't just saying, but actually living out of? How does it become tangible and real and not just this Christian word that rolls off our tongues?

Surrender.

It can truly change everything. If you're willing. If you let it.
If you surrender.

In our day-to-day lives, it can look quite different...depending on the person. Perhaps it's certain habits, sins...things that we know we need to abandon. Maybe that's what surrender looks like. Actual things we do that aren't good... that aren't glorifying to the Lord. Things that often have earthly consequences. Surrender means stopping.

Sometimes they are thoughts. Sometimes it's a need to let go of the things we worry about that are out of our control. Someone recently reminded me that the only thing in life that we have control over is our actions...and yet so much of the time we're still trying to fix things, make things happen, prevent things from happening. So much of the time we are worried about all the things that could happen. So, surrender here actually looks a lot like trust. Trusting that the One who is in control has got it all figured out. Trusting that He'll be faithful in what He promises.

Thoughts can manifest themselves in so many other ways that can be detrimental, too. Whether it's lust, or greed, or jealousy, or hatred, or unforgiveness... and this is where surrender becomes more challenging. This is where it becomes blurry... and this is where, I think, surrender is a daily (and oftentimes moment-to-moment) battle. It's something we have to fight to do. We have to fight to continually release, to let go, to walk away, to abandon... and because it's all inward, we find it comes creeping in when we're unaware. Before we know it, the jealousy that we thought we were rid of is growing darkness in our heart...again. Sometimes the surrender feels defeating... sometimes it feels impossible.

Day-to-day, moment-by-moment... surrender. Continually letting go, continually relinquishing, continually battling to be freed from the sin that so easily entangles.

And all of this day-to-day stuff is only possible when we've surrendered our whole selves. When we've fallen flat on our faces, admitting that we can do no good thing, recognizing our need for a savior. When we believe what Jesus has done for us on the cross and in the resurrection and we will do anything with our lives for Him.

Here...? At this point...?
Surrender means following.
It means obedience...no matter the cost.
It means total abandonment.
It means giving up, letting go, leaving behind what you thought you wanted for your life and admitting that it's probably going to look a lot different. It may mean being a pastor when you thought you'd be a lawyer....or being a lawyer when you thought you'd be a pastor. It may mean getting married when you thought you'd be single....or being single when you thought you'd be married. It may mean living overseas, it may mean living in a city. It may mean mean being poor... it may mean being rich.

But it means doing whatever it takes...while falling down and relying only on the grace of Christ to get back up again... because He is worth it.

It's a life of sacrifice.
A life a surrender.
A life that's not about us...but points directly toward the Creator, the Sustainer... the Father.

Surrender changes everything.
In the day-to-day... and in the greater picture of eternity.
Because, in the end, a life of surrender reminds us that we can do nothing...even when we do whatever it takes. We can't earn our rescue...and we'll still give into the day-to-day battles occasionally. Surrender is the continual admittance that we need Jesus over and over again. It's the living in the grace that He provides when we mess up while simultaneously still striving for the better.

Surrender.
It's not a one-time thing, friends.
And maybe that's what we forget most about surrender.

Your entries will remain anonymous

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about this while listening to a song on the Christian station. "Buzz word" was exactly my thought. There are a lot of words and phrases I used to think I understood but have finally come to a point where I find myself asking, "but what does that MEAN, really?" and when I actually ask it aloud I'm usually met with vague, unhelpful answers. I'm tired of words being thrown around without real meaning, or vague explanations that offer no practical advice... (especially since if we can't even explain things in a way another Christian can grasp, how are we going to explain our faith to those that don't believe?)

    as far as surrender goes... I used to think this meant doing something drastic and/or giving up everything. God has helped me surrender to His will in so many ways throughout my life... it's beautiful. But there are so many things I have "given up" that have found their way back into my life (in a good way) and I realize I never really had to give them up in the first place. Yes, my heart needed to be in a place of surrender, I needed to hold this things with an open hands, but the things in it of themselves were good, not bad.

    What I'm getting at is this: The idea of surrender got me into a lot of trouble. What was supposed to draw me closer to the Lord actually drew me to a "breaking up" with God in a sense because of my skewed perspective. I truly wanted to follow the Lords will in everything. I used to pray all the time, about everything. My heart was good, yet in a way, completely wrong in these prayers. I wanted to do what was right so I'd pray for God to show me the decision I needed to make. In EVERYTHING.

    Well.. God didn't reveal every decision to me. And because I didn't understand exactly what my relationship with God should look like, I got really frustrated. So frustrated that one day I told God. "I give up. I'm done. I can't follow you if I can't understand you. You're not helping me." That was the last honest prayer I said for a long time, and I set down my bible to collect dust. I was completely serious.

    Yes, sometimes I would pick it back up, or utter a few prayers, but a year later, it's never been the same. I'm still recovering and repairing this relationship. But I don't WANT it to be the same, obviously. It took me a long time to see that God did nothing wrong, and it was MY mistake. It took someone to show me that God cares more about who I am inside than about what I do. It's less about trying to never ever make a mistake, and more about God changing who I am and letting my actions follow; being willing to use my best judgment when I don't know what to do, and being willing to do something stupid as long as I'm trying the best I can to do what I think is right and to listen to God. I can't get mad at HIM when I fail. But I CAN trust Him to pick me up and give me grace. I CAN trust Him to teach me the way I should go THROUGH my mistakes (because sometimes that's how He teaches us.)

    You blogged once about how everyone felt like God was calling them to work at Camp Eagle, but clearly 2 and 2 didn't fit... There are so many times in my life I've felt God calling me to something, only to realize later, I'm an idiot and I totally misunderstood God. I used to want to be a missionary out in the jungle. That's not a bad thing, and I still might do it someday. But I used to think that surrender meant living a RADICAL life full of crazy adventure and no comforts that would make me lazy. Part of this is good, but God has shown me surrender in my life right now looks like being content with living a "normal" life, having a 9-5 office job...
    I don't have to be overseas.
    I don't have to be working in ministry.
    It doesn't make me unchristian, "lukewarm", or mean my heart is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me, it's possible it could be easier to make a decision to move to a far away country than it is to surrender our desire to gossip.
    Thinking about it, I've decided surrender means to me, to have humility, to allow God to speak to my heart and correct any false perspectives, it means leaving the door open for God to get into my heart and change it. It means lying down on a surgeon's table and saying, "Okay, God, I'm trusting you with my life. I trust you to open me up, fix what is wrong with me, and leave me more healthy and whole than what I was before."
    To me, it has meant choosing to forgive when I don't see how it's possible…
    It's meant giving up bad habits that entrapped me…
    It's meant biting my tongue when I've lost my patience with a friend, instead of lashing out in my frustration and showing them how "annoying" they are.
    It means loving when there's nothing in it for me, because God calls us to.

    After all, what's the point in traveling to Africa (or becoming a pastor) if we're still gossiping, we're still bitter, if we can't be content with life in our hometown, if our relationships are still unhealthy. These are truly the hard things, I think. Because once our heart is full of love, we'll do whatever it takes to express it and act on it, even if it means moving.
    To me surrender isn't necessarily, this decision or that, it's being willing to be molded… because sometimes doing something else is easier than becoming someone else; changing our circumstances and actions is easier than changing our hearts.
    We may think surrender looks like praying and choosing the right decision, when it actually means trusting God is in control and still loves you even when He didn't answer your prayer like you thought He should. It means surrendering having things your way in your timing.

    We really should be careful not to throw around vague words and phrases assuming we understand them. I say this because of my own mistake that has actually led me to days (not too long ago even) where I've seemed to be on the brink of walking away from Christianity forever, where I've asked myself if God really has anything to offer me, or if I have all I need in myself.

    Yet he keeps gently drawing me back, because no matter how much knowledge I gain, without God my heart gets so disgusting. No matter how insightful my thoughts or seemingly wise my decisions or how nice my actions look on the outside, my heart becomes appalling without Him. That's why I believe surrender is ultimately about surrendering who you ARE, and surrendering the desire to be in charge and order God around, surrendering the desire to KNOW everything. Because if surrender just means DOING something, or GOING somewhere, what a shallow faith we have, and we are white-washed tombs...

    I have just grown weary of all the hype of modern Christianity and doing radical things in the name of surrender, when the most radical life changes we make may hardly be noticeable to the world around us, because they should happen in the most internal part...

    "Be conscientious about how you live and what you teach. Persevere in this, because by doing so you will save both yourself and those who listen to you." 1 Timothy 4:16

    ReplyDelete