Thursday, June 25, 2020

A Heart to Heart

It's been a crazy year, to say the least. A lot of unimaginable things have happened. Probably most of us can say that.

Sometimes it feels hard to reflect on or to process. And that's generally what writing is for me... a cathartic release, a chewing on, a musing. But sometimes it's just an update for the few that wonder what the Beals are up to, especially now that we've relocated. 

So, that's what you get in this post. An update. 

We moved to Columbia, Missouri on May 29th and 30th. I flew with Baby K and Kel followed the next day (with help from a good friend and his parents) with our two Great Pyrs, Archie (the split-toed cat), and all of my plants/seedlings (and almost all have survived!). They also brought a few of our belongings, too. 

It's certainly a little weird to move home in the middle of a pandemic. It mostly feels like a really long vacation without a ton of freedom to move about and get to know new people or get "plugged in" to things in Columbia. I haven't been sad about that yet. I feel grateful to be able to soak in the time, my family, the sun, and watching our sweet baby grow. I don't feel as divided. I don't feel as rushed, as hurried...I don't feel a pressure to produce (unless we are talking about the plants I brought bearing fruit). I love that Baby K gets to be with Mumsy and Pops every day and that I can learn from them as I figured out this whole parenting business. 

It's a new way of life. 
With new rhythms and habits and freedoms. 

Since moving, we have witnessed some incredible sunsets, enjoyed warm summer nights on the porch, taken long walks with dogs or a baby in tow, eaten a 5 lb. bag of octopus sour gummies (thanks Jill), had our cat get somewhat mutilated by a raccoon, mowed acres of lawn, watched Baby K learn new tricks and talents every day, and enjoyed some quality time with family. We also bought a car (I think). Kel just passed his real estate exams and signed with a broker- so he will hopefully be selling houses in no time! 

Since moving, we have also learned that my family appears to carry a genetic disorder called Loeys-Dietz syndrome. Although my youngest brother had been born with heart issues and had emergency open heart surgery when he was 19, we had never considered the possibility that more of us might be impacted. Due to a series of fortunate (God-sized, really) events, my oldest brother will undergo open heart surgery on July 2. It's really better if you hear it directly from him, though (and also a way you can support them, if you feel led). Kel and I will fly out to Boston next week with Baby K to help be available for whatever needs arise for him and his family for two weeks during surgery and the first week of recovery at home. They have three boys and a little foster baby (who is only one month younger than K), so we are eager to spend some time with them! If you think of it, we would absolutely love prayer for safety and to remain COVID-free before/during our trip. The last thing we would want to do is bring the virus to my brother when he is in such a vulnerable state. 

Because it's genetic, we are working to get more of our family tested and checked out. My mom and I got echocardiograms this week to see if our aortas were also enlarged, as that would be a very likely indicator that we carry the gene. While my heart looks relatively normal, our suspicions that the gene had come through my mom's side of the family appears to be confirmed, as her aorta is also slightly enlarged. She will need to have it monitored each year to check for rapid growth. There is still the chance that those of us who don't show the same heart symptoms could still be carriers for the genetic disorder. 

No one wants to have open heart surgery... and no one wants to have it in the middle of a pandemic. My family is so grateful that we are on the front side of this and that we can learn more about this disorder for the generations that come after us. We trust the Lord with all of it- His timing, His plans, His sovereignty. We covet any and all prayers for my brother and his family as they go through this next season of recovery and transition. And also for more understanding of Loeys-Dietz and how it might impact more of our family members. 

It's such a crazy season. 
In the moments of quiet, I find myself listening, reading, trying to learn more about what I don't know... and also just being. It's a good place to be right now. In a lot of ways, it feels like the only place I can be.

Waiting. 
Watching.
Anticipating. 
Praying. 

Eager to see what the Lord has in store, for such a time as this. 




Your entries will remain anonymous 

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy your writing style. Your family continues in my prayers. Welcome back to Columbia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, we pray for you and your family with lots of love! I love that God always has you in a position to come alongside of family at times of need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love and many prayers for all of you 💕

    ReplyDelete