Sunday, January 27, 2019

Adios.

Exactly one week later and I'm back in the DFW airport.

Only this time I'm not alone.
And this time, my husband and I are heading to Costa Rica.


In a whirlwind of a week of surprises, we pushed back our trip by 5 days so I could be in Missouri to help my mom with her recovery from a broken hip. It was the right decision. And while she's on the road to rehab, we're now on our way out of the country.

I've alluded to this trip before, but haven't exactly talked about why we are going or what we are doing. It's mostly because I'm not entirely sure.

Ever since August, Kel and I have been in a place of wondering if we were where we needed to be. Events out of nowhere sent us on a quest of prayerfully considering if camp was where we were meant to be. And, in the midst of our questions, we received a "cry for help" from a longtime connection I had in Costa Rica from when I had gone in 2010:
Presently I´m teaching the Bible in 4 schools and an additional community without a school every week.  There are 5 more schools asking me to teach,  but I can´t get to more places as well as teach Bible classes to adults some 4 times a week, plus administrate the farm, and the other branches and churches we have around the river.  
It breaks my heart to have people asking me to come share the gospel and in fact I can´t get there.  
The national representative to the foundation of Las Palmas de Mamre suggested that he and I visit some mission conferences to recruit for the school of mission and for another missionary who would be able to adapt to a rugged life, to come take over some of these burdens. My problem is that I can´t be here running things as well as be up there sharing.  
The farm as also been recognized as a model organic farm and I have been sent to several trainings in organic farming as well 4 different projects on a national level.  All of this takes time and I just can´t get to everything.
We'll help.
It was our immediate reaction to the email.
Within weeks we had talked to our supervisors, families, friends, and booked tickets for four weeks to Costa Rica.

When I married Kel, one of his "things" was simple obedience. A desire to be willing to do whatever the Lord asked, whenever He asked it, with whoever needed it.  It's one of the reasons I love him...he pushes me to do what's uncomfortable and what sometimes feels seemingly impossible.

So, if the Lord were calling us to move our entire lives to help our friend in Costa Rica and the ministry that is happening there...? I believe that we would go.

Although sitting in this airport, months after all the initial excitement has waned, and my mom is recovering from hip surgery, and our jobs are filled with things we are truly passionate about, and we're in our last stages of Foster Care training... I can't help but wonder...  is this actually what's next? 

Because I want to go when I'm asked to go. 

But I also want to stay when I need to stay.

So, faithful friends...
We need your prayers.
Prayers that our hearts would be open to the Spirit's leading in our lives. I'm not convinced that there's a "right" or "wrong" decision in any of this, either. I am, however, convinced that we have been made in the image of God and that we have various giftings and passions that can be used for His glory and I want mine to be used to the fullest. So that people would know Him. So that people would follow Him with their whole lives.

Pray that we would be obedient.
Obedient in our day-to-day, as we spend the next 3.5 weeks serving in whatever capacity is asked of us. Obedient with our entire lives, with how we invest in those around us. Pray that we would not allow the lack of comforts or the unfamiliarity of culture and language to dissuade us if going is what is best. But pray that we wouldn't be swept up in the romantic notions that doing something seemingly grand for the Kingdom is better than staying with what we have known. Pray for discernment and wisdom.

I don't know what our days will look like. Traveling? Farm work? Time in the schools or Bible classes?

We will try to keep you posted often, pending our internet situation.

Above all, pray that we would be able to share Jesus with those we encounter and be a true help to those who need it. Pray that we can love well, despite the language barriers (or pray that we can miraculously remember all of our Spanish classes from high school and college). Pray that we (mostly me) wouldn't worry about all the things I cannot control back home, or at work, or with school assignments that are due every Monday... and that we could let go and really be present where we are at.

Thanks for being a community of people, near and far, who support us and love us. We couldn't do this without you.

Your entries will remain anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment