Thursday, October 30, 2014

Hair Envy

"You have great hair! Is it naturally curly?"

My heart leapt with joy at the flight attendants compliment and I discreetly pumped my fist in the air after answering her.

"Did you hear that?!" I hissed to my husband as we boarded the plane. "Someone finally complimented me on my hair instead of you getting a compliment on your hair." It was a small victory to write down in the books.

I couldn't remember the last time it had happened, honestly. He gets compliments all.the.time. And these are the problems you run into when you marry a man with long, luscious, blonde locks *sigh*. I certainly didn't anticipate him stealing all of my hair compliments when we entered into our relationship. And I certainly didn't anticipate all the other weird parts that come with long-haired men.  Sometimes I even threaten a little Delilah action in the middle of the night...

He loses hair ties. He breaks hair ties. We share hair ties. We've bought more hair ties since being together than I've bought in five years (or something like that).

Things I didn't anticipate.

Sometimes, when we're running out the door, he rushes back into the bathroom to fix his hair. It wasn't pulled up right, so he needs a mirror to re-do it. I get it. I do it, too. But, that was my reason to be late...it wasn't supposed to be my husband's.

There's hair in the drain. Hair on the floor. Hair in the food (just kidding, that's usually mine). It's a good thing I am brunette and he is blonde because I always know who is to blame.

He often flops his Fabio hair in my face when he turns, or bends down and stands back up, or leans forward than sits back up. He swears it's not on purpose, but I'm convinced he wants me to be aware of how great his hair is and acknowledge it. I mostly get concerned when he adopts these same mannerisms around strangers and whips his hair back and forth. "What are you doing?!?"

He loves braids.
He likes it when people play with his hair.
He thinks I'm jealous.

Things I didn't anticipate.

But, it's okay.
Even with his compliment stealing, loose strands everywhere, drain clogging, and breaking of hair ties... I still love him. And his hair is beautiful.

Mostly it's just funny. Something to laugh about and (occasionally) be annoyed by. Because it's all worth it. And now we're one. Unified. One braid, under God.

Things I didn't anticipate, with a man I didn't anticipate...
But it's always better than what I hoped for and imagined.
And it's always full of surprises.

I couldn't imagine anything more perfect.

Your entries will remain anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment